Recipe: Western Wheat Pilaf
- 1/2 c Finely chopped onion
- 2 tb Margarine
- 1 c Bulgur wheat
- 2 Bouillon cubes — (chicken-flavored) 2 c Water
- 1 Orange; juiced (about 1/4 c)
- Sherry 1/2 c California Dried Figs– (finely chopped) 3 tb Sesame seeds or pine nuts
- 1 ts Finely grated orange peel
- Saute onion in margarine until soft. Stir in wheat to coat with margarine. Add low fat chicken bouillon cubes and water.Measure orange juice and add enough sherry to make 1/2 cup. Add to pilaf.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 35 minutes.Five minutes before serving, stir in figs, sesame seeds or pine nuts and orange peel. Cover to complete cooking.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.Each serving contains about: Calories 248, Fat 6.97G, Sodium 378MG, Cholesterol 0.400MG, Protein 6.06G, Carbohydrates 40.1G.
- Fiber 9.43G Source: Fabulous Figs The Fitness Fruit Reprinted with the permission of The California Fig Advisory Board Electronic format courtesy of Karen Mintzias
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)