Recipe: Coconut Cream Meringue Pie
- 1 pie shell — baked
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten — save whites for meringue
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of hot filling into egg yolks, return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in coconut, margarine and vanilla until margarine is melted.
- Top warm filling with meringue and brown.
Number of servings (yield): 1
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)