Recipe: Devil Delicious Devil’s Food Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or regular margarine, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup Dutch cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Cocoa Crème Frosting (recipe follows)
- sliced almonds for garnish
- you can use regular cocoa but the cocoa flavor will be less pronounced.
- Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 3 round 9 X 1 1/2 inch cake pans.
- Beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and almond extract in a large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.Stir together cocoa,cake flour,baking soda,and salt in a small bowl.Fold into sugar mixture, with the buttermilk on medium speed.Beat one minute longer.
- Divide evenly between the three pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near the center of each cake pan comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on the wire racks. Fill and frost the cake with the Cocoa Crème Frosting. Garnish the cake top with the slivered almonds
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)