Recipe: Festive Coconut Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup coconut
- Mint and cherry or strawberry jam or jelly Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter with sugar, egg yolk and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed with electric mixer.
- Combine flour with salt and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture. Blend well. Form into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Beat egg white until slightly frothy. Dip dough ball in egg white , and roll in coconut.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Make a small hole in each center of each cookie using thumb. Place ½ teaspoon cherry or strawberry Jam in half of cookies and mint jelly in remaining cookies.
- Bake at 375 for 8-9 minutes or until coconut begins to brown. Cool on baking sheets about 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Makes about 2 dozen.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)