Recipe: Lemon Chiffon Cake
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cup splendra
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice finely grated rind of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 large egg yolks, at room temp.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 325 o. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Stir in splenda and set aside. In a large bowl combine oil, egg yolks, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon rind and vanilla. Beat with a mixer until smooth. Incorporate flour mix on low speed. Beat on medium 30 seconds or until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, with clean beaters beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy . Gradually add sugar (2 Tbsps) beat until stiff but not dry. gently stir in 1/4 of the whites to loosen batter , gently fold in the remainder of whites. Spoon batter into ungreased 10 tube pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when gently touched. Cool upside down by placing pan on a bottle or funnel for 45 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)