Recipe: Mesa Squash Fry With Sunflower Seeds
- 1 ea Green anaheim chile
- 1 tb Sunflower oil
- 2 ea Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/2 ts Black pepper
- 8 ea Ears sweet yellow corn, — kernels cut from the cob 8 sm Zucchini or yellow squash, — julienned 1 ea Red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 c Shelled sunflower seeds
- Roast the anaheim chile, then peel, seed, and coarsely chop it. In a saute pan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- When the oil is hot but not smoking add the garlic, chile, salt, and pepper and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Add the corn, squash, and red pepper. Reduce heat and allow the vegetables to simmer about 15 minutes, until they are tender.
- Add the sunflower seeds and simmer another 5 minutes. Serve hot as a vegetable side dish.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)