Recipe: Millet Pilaf
- 1 sm Onion
- 4 ts Vegetable oil
- 1/4 c Millet Sea salt to taste
- 2/3 c Water
- 1/2 c Slivered almonds
- 1 sm Leek
- 1 sm Zucchini
- 1 c Mushrooms Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 ts Ground cinnamon
- Chop the onion. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a saucepan and add the onion. Saute for about 3 minutes until tender by not brown.
- Add the millet and cook for another 2 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle in the salt and pour in the water. Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Place the almonds under the grill (broiler) and toast until lightly browned, turning frequently. Set aside. Chop the leek and zuchinni finely. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a frying pan (skillet) or wok and add the vegetables. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Slice the mushrooms thinly and add them to the leek and zucchini. Stir fry for a further 2-3 minutes. When the millet is tender and the water is absorbed, stir in the vegetables, pepper to taste, and the cinnamon.
- Cook for a couple of minutes longer, stirring then remove from heat, and stir in almonds.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)