Recipe: Monika’S Dal
- 8 oz Red lentils:can use others -these cook the quicker
- 1 1/2 tb Ghee
- 1 lg Onion; finely chopped
- 2 ea Garlic cloves; finely -chopped
- 1 ts Ginger root;finely grated or -chopped
- 1/2 ts Tumeric
- 3 c -Hot water
- 1 ts -Salt
- 1/2 ts Garam masala
- Coriander, fresh; chopped -also called Cilantro Wash lentils thoroughly by placing in bowl and covering with water.
- Remove any that float, drain well. In heavy based skillet, heat ghee (or butter) and fry onion, garlic and ginger a few minutes over medium heat until onion is golden brown. Add tumeric and mix to combine well.
- Add lentils. Fry mixture about 2 minutes. Add hot water and bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat so mixture is just simmering. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes. Add salt and garam masala.
- Stir well and finish cooking lentils until they are soft and consistency of mixture is quite thick. If there’s too much liquid, remove cover so liquid will evaporate.
- Spoon into serving dish. Sprinkle with coriander.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)