Recipe: Nasu Karashi Sumiso-Ae
(Eggplant/Mustard And Miso)
- 1 lb Eggplant
- 1 ts Salt
- 1/3 c White miso dressing
- 1 tb Japanese all purpose soya– sauce
- 1 tb Powdered mustard
- mixed with enough hot water to make — thick paste, set aside — to rest for 15 minutes Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 4 pieces & finally into 2″ cubes.
- In a small pot, bring 2 c water to a boil. Add a teaspoon salt and drop in the eggplant. Boil uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the eggplant shows only the slightest resistance when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Drain & let the eggplant cool to room temperature. Pat dry with paper towels. Combine the miso dressing, soy sauce & mustard paste in a mixing bowl & stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the eggplant & toss together until the cubes are thoroughly coated with the dressing. Serve at room temperature in small bowls as a first course or vegetable, or as part of a Japanese meal.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)