Recipe: Orange Beets With Spice
- 2 pound beets, young, small
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange, rind, grated
- 1/4 cup sugar, brown
- 2/3 cup orange, juice
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 chives, fresh, minced
- Cut off beet tops and wash beets well. Simmer beets, covered, in enough water to cover for 45-60 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and cover with cold water; trim off tops and roots and remove skin. Slice 1/4 inch thick and set aside. In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, allspice, pepper, orange rind, and brown sugar.
- Gradually add orange juice, stir until smooth. Add butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Add beets and heat through. Place in individual serving dishes and sprinkle with chives.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)