Recipe: Scalloped Potatoes (Original)
- 3 teaspoon butter 2 t flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cup milk
- 6 md potatoes, pared and thinly slicked
- 2 teaspoon onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. butter a 2 qt casserole. Make a basic white sauce of butter, flour, salt, pepper & milk.
- Place half the potatoes in casserole. Cover with half the onion and half the sauce. Repeat layers. Cover and bake about an hour. (I like to cook it a bit longer, about 1 hour and 15 minutes before uncovering it.)
- Test to make sure potatoes are almost, but not quite, fork tender. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer. Left over cooked ham layered in the middle makes it almost a one dish meal, and is a good addition…tho I usually serve this with ham to begin with.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)