Recipe: Sicilian Sweet And Sour Pumpkiin Squash
- 2 lb Pumpkin or butternut squash
- Salt and pepper 1 1/2 c Vegetable stock
- 2 Onions; thinly sliced
- 6 tb Sugar
- 2/3 c Red wine vinegar
- 1/2 c Fresh mint; chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Place the pumpkin cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until tender but not mush. The pump0kin flesh should be firm enough to cut into 1/2-inch cubes or slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring 1 cup of the stock to a boil in a suacepan and cook the onions in it, uncovered, over moderate heat until tender.
- When most of the liquid has evaporated, sprinkle the onions with sugar and cook until the onions begin to caramelize. Add the vinegar and the remaining stock and continue to cook until deep golden brown but not burned.
- Add water if teh mixture seems dry; the onions should end up in a sweet and sour syrup. Toss the pumpkin cubes with the onions mixture and stir well to coat. Sprinkle with coarsely chopped mint. From DEEANNE’s recipe files
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Italian