Recipe: Smothered Red Peppers Paprikash (Russian Lecho)
- 3 T Vegetable oil [used FF
- Broth 2 Medium-size onions, cut in
- Half and thinly sliced 1 Scant t sweet Hungarian
- Paprika 6 lg Red peppers, cored, seeded,
- And cut into medium-thick Strips 3 Canned Italian plum
- Tomatoes, drained and finely Chopped 2 t Tomato paste
- 1/3 c Chicken broth, or more if
- Needed [used FF chicken Broth] x Salt and freshly ground Black pepper, to taste 1 1/2 T Red wine vinegar
- 1/8 t Sugar, or more to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute’ until softened but not colored, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the paprika and toss with the onions until they are deeply colored.
- Add the peppers and continue to saute’, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes. Do not allow the vegetables to brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and salt and pepper. Allow the mixture to boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer the peppers until very tender, about 30 to 35 minutes, adding more liquid, a little at a time, if it evaporates.
- Off the heat, stir in the vinegar and sugar and allow the mixture to cool.
- This can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Russian