Recipe: Szechwan White Cut Chicken With Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb Chicken breasts
- 1 Whole green onion, cut in h
- 1 Quarter-size slice of fresh-ginger, crushed with a cle 1 T Dry sherry
- 1/2 t Each salt and sugar
- 2 c Water
- 1 c Shredded iceberg lettuce-fresh cilantro -Peanut sauce – 1 1/2 T Creamy peanut butter
- 2 1/2 T Salad oil
- 2 T Each soy sauce and sugar
- 2 t White vinegar
- 1/2 t Sesame oil
- 1/2 t Ground red pepper
- 1 T Each minced green onion
- Place chicken in a 2-quart pan with the onion, ginger, sherry, salt, sugar and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until chicken is cool enough to handle. Strain broth and save for soup. Remove and discard skin from chicken.
- Pull meat from bones, then pull meat in long shreds. If made ahead, cover and chill. Sauce – Stir together peanut butter and salad oil until blended.
- Stir in soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper, green onion and cilantro. To serve, mound lettuce on a serving platter. Arrange shredded chicken over lettuce. Drizzle peanut sauce over all.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Thai