Recipe: Tofu Pot Pie
- ———–CRUST———– 3/4 c Barley flour or unbleached
- -white flour 1/2 c Whole wheat flour or whole
- -wheat pastry flour 1/2 t Salt
- 3 tb Oil
- 1/4 c Water
- 2 1/2 c Vegetable broth
- 3 c Diced potatoes
- 1 c Finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 c Chopped onion
- 1 c Frozen green peas, corn
- -kernels, or chopped celery -(or combination of any of -these equaling 1 cup) 1/2 c Chopped mushrooms (opt)
- 1/4 c Flour
- 1/4 t Pepper
- 1/2 t Poultry seasoning
- 1/2 c Soy milk or water (filling
- -tastes much richer with -soy milk) 1 pk Extra-firm tofu, drained,
- -patted dry and cut into -cubes (10.5 oz or 16 oz)
- Crust: Mix together flours and salt. Stir in oil and mix in water. Chill dough while making filling. Filling: In a large saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes, cover and cook 5 minutes. Add carrots, onions, and celery. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Add peas and-or corn and mushrooms. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until tender. Combine flour, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add soy milk or water and beat together well. Gradually add to vegetable mixture, stirring well. Over medium-high heat, stir constantly for about 3 minutes, or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, stir in tofu, and salt to taste. To assemble: Heat oven to 350’F. Roll out dough to fit over the top of a 9″ square casserole dish. Spoon tofu-vegetable mixture into casserole dish and cover with crust, cutting off any extra dough and folding over and pinching edges to seal.
- Cut 4 or 5 slits on top. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until crust is done. Nutritional analysis per serving: 342.5 calories; 11.1 grams total fat (1.2 grams saturated fat); 12.9 grams protein; 46.3 grams carbohydrates; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 265.5 milligrams sodium.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
My rating: 5 stars: ★★★★★ 1 review(s)