Recipe: Tofu Steaks With Pineapple Salsa
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 2/3 c White Vegetable Stock, below
- 1/4 c Lemon Juice
- 1 tb Crushed red pepper
- 1/4 c Minced ginger root
- 10 Garlic cloves
- Black pepper, to taste 1 1/4 lb Firm tofu, drained, and cut
- Lengthwise 4 1-in “steaks” 1 Small fresh pineapple
- 1/2 Jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 Thin avocado slices, garnish
- About 3 1/2 hours before serving: 1. From bunch of cilantro, remove 4 springs to use as garnish later. Chop remaining cilantro to make 1/2 C; set aside 1 T for salsa.
- In medium-sized baking dish, combine chopped cilantro and next 6 ingredients; add tofu. Marinate 2 hours at room temperature.
- About 1-1/4 hours before serving, peel pineapple; then finely chop. In serving bowl, combine pineapple, jalapeno pepper, and reserved 1 T chopped cilantro.
- Prepare outdoor grill.
- Lightly oil grill; place tofu on grill over medium heat; reserve marinade. Grill tofu until lightly browned, brushing frequently with marinade and turning once with a pancake turner.
- Serve tofu with pineapple mixture. Garnish with cilantro and avocado if desired. Makes 4 servings. TO BROIL IN OVEN: Follow steps 1 through 3. Preheat broiler. Lightly oil rack in broiling pan; place tofu on rack; broil about 6-8 minutes until lightly browned, brushing frequently with marinade and turning once with pancake turner.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)