Recipe: Vegan Bread Pudding
- 2 c Grated apples
- Juice of 1 lemon 4 c Whole grain bread, cubed,
- -small 1/3 c Raisins
- 1 ts Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c Soymilk
- 1/2 c Maple syrup
- Some vanilla if you use -plain soymilk Egg replacer to equal
- One egg Mix lemon juice with grated apple. Blend the soymilk, egg replacer, maple syrup and cinnamon (and vanilla, if you use it) together. Put one third of the bread in the bottom of a greased 8″ by 8″ baking dish and cover with 1 cup of the apples and half the raisins.
- Pour one cup of the liquid mixture over these ingredients. Repeat the layers of bread, apple and raisins, ending with a top layer of bread. Pour the rest of the liquid ingredients over it. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Let pudding sit for a few minutes (original recipes called for 20 minutes, I let it sit for 5). Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F (325 if you use a glass dish) for 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes at room temperature before serving. Was great for breakfast. Notes: I used a whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread, which combined with the vanilla soymilk and maple syrup made it fairly sweet, which I like but others might not.
- The orginal recipe called for margerine to be dotted on top before baking. I cut it out because of fat considerations, but I guess it would make the top crisper.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)