Recipe: Vegan London Broil
- 2 1/2 lb Raw Seitan
- – (2 boxes Seitan Quick Mix) 1/2 ga Water
- 1 1/2 c Tamari soy sauce
- 1 7-inch strip kombu
- — (sea vegetable) 6 sl Fresh ginger (thin slices)
- Sauce — (such as Bordelaise — or Miso sauces)
- Prep time: 30 minutes Place Seitan in an 8-inch square cake pan. Allow to rest until it takes the shape of the pan. Place this pan inside a second, larger pan that is half-filled with water. Cover the larger pan. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 F. for 1 hour.
- When Seitan is done, remove from the pan. Divide into eight equal pieces. To 1/2 gallon water, add tamari, kombu, ginger, and Seitan steaks. Cover pot, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 45 minutes. (If you are using a pressure cooker, reduce liquid by one half and cook for 20 to 25 minutes).
- You may leave steaks in the stock for several hours, if you wish. Remove steaks from stock and drain. Brush with a little sauce, and broil so they will be lightly browned. Serve steaks hot with additional sauce.
Meal type: Breakfast
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: USA (General)