Recipe: Vegetable Eggplant Soup
- 1 t Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 Medium carrots,
- Finely chopped 2 Ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 Medium eggplant, peeled
- And finely chopped 1 Medium turnip, finely
- Finely chopped 8 c Chicken stock, water or a
- Combination 1 14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes
- Coarsely chopped, including Juice 1/2 t Basil
- 1/2 t Thyme
- 1/2 t Oregano
- 1/2 t White pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a heavy large pot over low heat, cook the garlic, onion, carrots, celery eggplant and turnips until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Do not brown. Add stock or other liquid. Over high heat, bring liquid to a boil and skim off any gray foam that rises to the surface.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender. 7 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes longer. Add herbs, pepper and salt.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)