Recipe: Vegetable Gumbo
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Green pepper, diced
- 2 Ribs Celery, diced
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb Okra, sliced, fresh, frozen
- 1 lb Tomatoes, fresh, or canned
- 2 c Corn, fresh, frozen, canned
- 1 ts Vegetable Bouillon granules
- 1/2 c White Grape Juice
- 1/2 c Water
- 1/4 ts Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 ts Paprika
- 2 tb Fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tb Basil or Rosemary, minced
- Vegetable coating spray Method: In a large heavy stew pot, place bouillon and 1/2 C white grape juice, onion, green pepper, celery garlic, cook until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Add other ingredients, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking to bottom. Cover and simmer gently until corn and okra are done. (or simmer in crockpot 6-7 hours)
- Note: Cut fresh corn from cob with a sharp knife, then scrape the remaining corn off the cob.
- Four ears will make about two cups. If you use dried herbs, rub them with the palms of your hands before adding to the pot, this releases their aroma and goodness. Exchanges: 1 Veg, 1 Bread, and 107 calories.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: French