Recipe: Vegetable Stock
- 2 T Safflower Oil
- 1 x Lg Onion, sliced
- 1 x Carrot, sliced (with greens)
- 1 x Stalk Celery,sliced (w/grns)
- 1 x Tomato, cubed
- 1 x Potato, cubed
- 1 x Turnip, sliced (peel if waxy)
- 2 x Cloves Garlic, halved
- 2 qt Plus 1 cup Water
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 x Lg sprig Parsley
- 1/2 t Black pepper
- In a stock pot, heat oil. Add onion, celery, tomato, potato, turnip, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Strain stock and discard the vegetables, bay leaf, and parsley. Makes 2 quarts.
- Stock may be used immediately, refrigerated for 3-4 days, or frozen for up to 1 month.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)