Recipe: Veggie Burgers
- 3 c cooked lentils
- 1 c plain bread crumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 c fresh spinach, cooked — finely chopped
- 1/2 c carrots, cooked — chopped
- 1/2 c green onion — chopped
- 1 c cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.) — shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 whole-wheat buns
- CATSUP MAYONAISSE (Optional): 1 c light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- 2 Tbsp catsup
- Combine lentils, bread crumbs, egg whites, spinach, carrot, onion, Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl. Shape into 6 equal patties. Place on a baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add burgers; cook 6 minutes, turning over once halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, if preparing the mayonnaise, mix together mayonnaise, mustard and catsup in a small bowl. 4) Place burgers in buns and serve with mayonnaise if using.
- Nutrient Value Per Serving: 424 calories, 24 g protein, 11 g fat, 60 g carbohydrate, 918 mg sodium, 20 mg cholesterol. Exchanges: 3 and 1/2 starch/bread, 1 and 1/2 meat, 1/3 vegetable, 1 and 1/4 fat.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)