Recipe: West Indies Pepper Pot Soup
- 1/4 lb Salt Pork
- 1 1/2 lb Short Rib of Beef, 3″ pieces
- 1 1/2 lb Stew Beef, cut into 2″ cubes
- 12 c Water
- 1/2 t Dried Thyme
- 1 1/2 t Salt
- 1/4 t Pepper
- Lg Onion, peeled & diced 2 x Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 x Scallions, with some tops
- 2 T Salad oil
- Lg Green Pepper, cleaned
- 10 oz Fresh Spinach, washed, trimm
- 10 oz Fresh Kale, washed & trimmed
- 1 cn Okra , drained (15 1/2 oz.)
- 4 x Med Sweet Potatoes
- Lg Tomato, peeled & cubed Put salt pork and short rib pieces in a large kettle; brown ribs on all sides. Add stew beef and brown on all sides. Pour in water and slowly bring just to a boil. Skim.
- Add thyme, salt, and pepper. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour, occasionally removing any scum that rises to the top.
- While meat is simmering, saute onion, garlic, and scallions in heated oil in a skillet until tender. Add green pepper and saute 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside. After meat has cooked 1 hour, add sauteed vegetables and other ingredients to the kettle. Continue to cook slowly, covered, about 30 minutes, until vegetables and meat are cooked.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Take out short ribs and cut off and discard any fat. Cube meat and return to kettle. Reheat, if necessary.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)