Recipe: White Gazpacho With Almonds And Grapes
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds
- 3 each garlic cloves
- 1 salt, to taste
- 4 each white bread slices, stale, crusts removed
- 4 cup ice water
- 7 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 each white bread slices, crusts removed, cut in cubes
- 1 1/2 cup seedless green grapes
- Grind almonds, 2 garlic cloves, and salt to a fine consistency in a food processor or blender. Soak stale bread in one cup ice water, and squeeze to extract moisture. Add bread to processor.
- With processor running, add 6 tb oil and one cup ice water slowly in a steady stream. Add vinegars, and mix on high speed for 2 minutes. Add one cup ice water and mix 2 more minutes.
- Place in a bowl, add remaining ice water and mix well. Adjust seasonings with salt and vinegar. Chill for up to 6 hours.
- Heat butter and remaining one tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Crush remaining garlic clove and add to pan with bread cubes, tossing to coat with butter and oil.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring occassionally, 20-30 minutes, or until cubes are golden. Serve soup ice cold, garnished with croutons and grapes.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Spanish