Recipe: Yetakelt W’Et (Spicy Mixed Vegetable Stew)
- 1 c Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tb Berbere (dry)
- 1 tb Sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 c Niter Kebbeh
- 1 c Green beans, cut in thirds
- 1 c Carrots, chopped
- 1 c Potatoes, cubed
- 1 c Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 c Tomato paste
- 2 c Vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 c Chopped fresh parsley(OPT)
- Saute the onions, garlic, berbere, and paprika in the niter kebbeh for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, carrots, and potatoes and continue to saute for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender. [personal comment: we simmered more like 40 minutes, until it eventually thickened.]
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the parsley (optional). Serve with injera and yogurt or cottage cheese.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)