Recipe: Beef Stew With Zucchini
- 2 lb Boneless chuck or beef stew
- 1 tb Vegetable oil
- 1/4 tb Pepper
- 1/2 c Water
- 1 md Green pepper — sliced
- 2 lg Celery — cut 2″ pcs
- 2 sm Zucchini or other squash
- 2 tb All-purpose flour
- Cut 1-1/2″ cubes 2 ts Salt
- 1 md Onion — slice
- 1/4 tb Marjoram
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 md Potatoes — peel, quarter Unpeeled —
- n a large skillet over medium heat, thoroughly brown the meat in the oil. Sprinkle half the salt and pepper over the meat.
- Lift the meat into a bowl. Saute the onion in the skillet until transparent and lift out into the crockpot. In the same skillet swirl the water, scraping up the juices, then turn the liquid into the crockpot. Add the marjoram, green pepper, bay leaf, celery, potatoes and zucchini. Sprinkle the rest of the salt and pepper. Place the meat on top and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Before serving, remove the meat and veggies to a platter and keep warm. Skim 2 tb fat from the top of the liquid and heat in a skillet. Stir the flour and heat rapidly to make a smooth sauce.
- Simmer until the sauce is as thick as whipped cream, then pour over the meat and veggies.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)