Recipe: Choucroute Garnie
- 1 1/2 pound pork, shoulder
- 1 pound knackwurst
- 1 pound sausage, italian or polish
- 1 pound bacon
- 3 pound sauerkraut
- 8 each juniper berries
- 2 tablespoon gin
- 1/2 cup wine, white
- Cover bacon strips with boiling water; set aside. Cut pork into 1 inch chunks. Slice knackwurst and sausages in half.
- Combine pork, knackwurst, and sausages and set aside. Drain sauerkraut, rinse in cold water and squeeze dry. Drain bacon and pat dry. Chop bacon. Mix into sauerkraut and add crushed juniper berries and gin.
- Add half of sauerkraut mixture to crockpot, then add mixed meats and remaining sauerkraut, sprinkling with pepper as you go. Pour wine over all and cover. Cook about 2 hours on High.
- Turn into warmed serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with boiled potatoes. Pass around mustard or horseradish, if you wish.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)