Recipe: Crockpot New England Pot Roast
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 each onions, cut into quarters
- 1 each celery, cut into 8 chunks
- 4 each carrots, cut into quarters
- 1 each bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon vinegar
- 5 cup water
- 1 each cabbage, small wedged —SAUCE—
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cup reserved beef broth
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle roast with seasonings. Place onions, carrots and celery in crockpot. Top with meat. Add bay leaf, vinegar and water. (Remove the bay leaf before serving.)
- Cover pot and cook on low 5 to 7 hours or meat is tender. Remove meat and turn on high.
- Add cabbage wedges; cover and cook on high 15 to 20 minutes or until cabbage is done. Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan. Stir in instant onion and flour. Drain 1 1/2 cups of broth out of cooking pot. Pour broth, horseradish and salt into saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stiring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Serve sauce over roast, with vegtables.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: English