Recipe: Crockpot Pina Colada Bread Pudding
- 1 pound loaf french bread
- 10 oz frozen pina colada drink mix
- 6 oz pineapple juice
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 2 each large bananas, sliced crosswise
- 3 each eggs
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 1 cup raisins
- 8 oz pineapple, crushed with juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 mint sprigs, fresh
- With a sharp knife, peel crust from bread; discard crust or make into bread crumbs for use in another recipe. Cut bread into 1 inch cubes; set aside. In blender or food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine 1/2 of the following ingredients; drink mix, pineapple juice, evaporated milk, cream of coconut, and banana slices.
- Process until pureed; pour puree into a 6 cup bowl. Puree remaining 1/2 of liquid ingredients and banana slices as well as eggs and liqueur, if desired. Combine both purees; set aside.
- Combine raisins and crushed pineapple (and the juice); set aside. Place about 2/3 of bread cubes in slow cooker, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel and spread 1 cup of the raisin-pineapple mixture over bread in slow cooker. Top with remaining bread cubes, then with remaining 1/2 tsp lemon peel and raisin-pineapple mixture.
- Pour pureed ingredients into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6 hours. Spread pudding into 8 or 10 dessert dishes and serve hot. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: French