Recipe: Old- Time Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons oil Flour Garlic powder Paprika 2 pounds stew beef
- 1 onion — quartered
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika bay leaves 1 Dash allspice or cloves
- 6 carrots — cut in pieces
- 6 medium white potatoes — cut in pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup flour
- Put flour, paprika and garlic powder in a plastic bag. Coat stew beef in flour mixture and brown in hot oil in a large Dutch oven.
- After all meat is browned, add the remaining ingredients except for 1/2 cup cold water and 1/4 cup flour. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. When all vegetables are cooked, thicken with 1/2 cup cold water mixed with 1/4 cup flour.To cook in a crockpot, brown flour coated meat.
- Put browned meat and remaining ingredients, except for thickening ingredients, to the crockpot. Cook on low for 10-12 hours or 5-6 hours on high.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)