Recipe: Pot Roast Dinner
- 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, dry & crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dry & crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 each garlic clove, minced
- 6 each carrots, quartered & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 each boiling onions
- 1/4 cup tapioca, quick cooking
- 1 mashed potatoes
- Trim fat from roast. If necessary, cut roast to fit into crock pot. In a skillet brown roast on all sides in hot oil. In a bowl combine tomato juice, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, basil, thyme, pepper, and garlic.
- In 6 quart crockpot, place carrots and onion. Sprinkle tapioca over vegetables. Place roast atop vegetables. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours or high-heat for 5-6 hours.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter. Skim fat from gravy. Serve gravy with mashed potatoes.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)