Recipe: Quinoa With Leek And Currants
- 1 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 2/3 cup stock, vegetable, or water
- 4 each leeks, small
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, canned, or 2 roma tomatoes
- 5 tablespoon currants
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Slice leeks in half length-wise. Wash all of the larger leaves very well (leeks are very dirty. If you don’t wash it well enough your final dish will be gritty).
- Chop washed leeks cross-wise into thin slices. Place quinoa in a fine-meshed colander and rinse well for several minutes.
- You want to remove the bitter coating of saponin that quinoa sometimes has. You can also do this in a regular bowl if you are careful (Fill with water, swirl qunioa around, pour out water, repeat until water is clear).
- Place leeks in nonstick pan and cook until limp and reduced (No need to add liquid, leeks will have some water from being washed and tend to give up liquid as they cook).
- Add spices to the leeks and stir until well mixed. Add quinoa and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add stock, currants, and tomatoes, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes until done.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)