Recipe: Sacramento Beef Pot
- 4 pound beef, blade or chuck roast
- 1 each onion, sliced
- 6 each potatoes, halved
- 6 each zucchini, sliced
- 1 each bell pepper, red, sliced in rings
- 1 cup wine, red, or beef broth
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 each bay leaf
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup water, cold
- Trim all excess fat from meat. Brown beef in its own fat in a large skillet; remove and set aside. Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet. Saute onion until soft in fat.
- Place meat, sauteed onion, potato, zucchini, red pepper rings, wine, salt, pepper and bay leaf in slow cooker; cover. Cook on Low for 10 hours or on High for 5 hours, or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork. Place meat and vegetables on heated platter and keep warm.
- Turn heat control to High. Combine flour and water in a cup. Pour into liquid in slow cooker, cover. Cook 15 minutes. Pass sauce separately in heated gravy boat.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)