Recipe: Saffron Bread (Wedman)
- 1/2 ts Saffron
- 1/4 c Hot Water (120 to 130 -degrees)
- 1 c Milk
- 1/4 c Margarine
- 1 tb Lemon Rind, grated
- 1 tb Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1/4 ts Ground Nutmeg
- 2 1/2 To 3 c Flour
- 1 c Dried Currants -or- Dark
- Raisins Steep the saffron in the hot -water for 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the milk and margarine in a saucepan.
- Heat until the margarine has melted. Cool. Add the lemon rind. Sprinkle the yeast into the milk mixture when lukewarm.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve. Add the sugar, nutmeg, 2 cups of the flour and the saffron mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in the currants (or dark raisins) and another 1/2 cup of the flour. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. Then punch down and knead on a lightly-floured board until smooth.
- Shape into a loaf and place in an oiled 4- by 9-inch bread pan. Let rise until doubled. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 1 hour.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out on a wire rack. When the bread is thoroughly cooled, it may be sliced.
Number of servings (yield): 15
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)