Recipe: Sauteed Tempeh With Lemon-Mustard Sauce
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Onion
- 4 Celery stalks
- 2 tb Fresh Italian parsley
- 1 pn Fresh rosemary
- 1 pn Fresh sage
- 6 c Water
- 1/4 c Tamari or soy sauce
- 4 oz Tempeh
- 1/4 c Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tb Vegetable oil
- 2 tb Olive oil
- 1/4 lb Oyster mushrooms
- 1 ts Lemon juice
- 1/2 ts Whole grain mustard
- 1 tb Chives, chopped
- Place first eight ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for two hours. Strain the stock and discard teh waste.
- Combine 3-1/2 cups of the stock with the tamari or soy sauce. Bring the stock to a simmer and steam the tempeh in the stock for 20 minutes. Remove the tempeh and allow to cool.
- Slice the tempeh into thin long strips and dust it in the flour. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and tempeh and saute until tempeh is golden and the mushrooms are well cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan. Keep the pan hot and add 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and the lemon juice, then add the mustard and chives.
- Simmer, uncovered, for one minute. Put the tempeh and mushrooms in a serving dish and cover with the lemon-mustard sauce.
- Serve immediately. Preparation Time: 1 hour Cooking Time: 2 hours
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)