Recipe: Savory Pork And Vegetable Stew
- 1 pound pork, shoulder, lean, trimmed of fat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 4 teaspoon oil, vegetable
- 2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cup water
- 1 pound carrots, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 pound potatoes, red, chopped into 1 inch chunks 24 oz turnips
- 2 tablespoon mustard
- Trim pork of all visible fat and then cut in 1-inch pieces. Sprinkle pork with 1/4 ts of the salt and the pepper. Toss with the flour until coated. Heat 2 ts of the oil in a 5 quart pot over medium-hight heat. Shake excess flour from pork and add 1/2 to pan.
- Cook until browned, turning pork often, about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and pork. Reduce heat to medium and add onoin to saute pan. Saute until softened and light brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add pork, thyme, rosemary, cider, remaining 1/2 ts salt and one cup of the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until pork is just tender. Add carrots, red and sweet potatoes, turnips and remining 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Remove 1 cup vegetables with broth. Put in a food processor or blender with the mustard and puree until smooth. Gently stir into stew. CROCKPOT DIRECTIONS: This can be prepared the night before and refrigerated in the crockpot liner. Before leaving for work in the morning, toss the liner into the heating unit and don’t forget to turn on Low.
- Brown meat and saute onions and garlic in oil as directed. While these are browning, prepare the vegetables and put in bottom of crockpot. Add the browned onion and garlic and then the meat (on top). Sprinkle seasonings over all. Pour the cider on, and cover and cook for 10 or 12 hours on Low, until meat and vegetables are tender. About 15 minutes before serving, check the amount of liquid in the stew. Quite a bit should have accumulated, but add some or all of the water to make as much sauce as desired.
- Thicken with pureed vegetables and liquid as directed, turning the crockpot to High after returning the vegetable thickener to the mixture.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)