Recipe: Scrambled Tofu
- 1 tb Olive or canola oil
- 1 lg Onion – peeled & coarsely chopped
- 2 lg Garlic cloves – peeled & finely chopped
- 6 Scallions; thinly sliced, – (keep white & green parts – separate)
- 1/4 lb Mushrooms; thinly sliced
- 1 sm Red bell pepper – seeded and diced
- 1 lb Silken or soft tofu; drained – mashed or crumbled
- 1/2 ts Dried leaf oregano
- 1/4 ts Tumeric (optional)
- 1/4 c Finely chopped green olives -(pitted)
- 1 Sheet nori sea vegetable – finely shredded (optional)
- Tamari or soy sauce – to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Great for brunch or a light supper dish, this recipe can easily be doubled to serve 4 to 6.
- Silken tofu results in a very soft-cooked texture, while soft tofu will be slightly firmer.
- NOTE: Tumeric will give a faint yellow color to the mixture, but will not contribute significantly to the taste.
- DIRECTIONS: In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic, and white of scallions until the onions turn light brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, red pepper, tofu, oregano, and tumeric (if using), and continue to saute over medium-high heat for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the scallion greens, olives, nori (if using), soy sauce and pepper to taste. Pass optional hot sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)