Recipe: Seitan Parmigiana
- 12 oz Seitan; cut into “steaks”
- 4 tb Oil; for frying
- 3 c Spaghetti sauce
- 1 md Onion; chopped -and sauteed in water – (optional)
- 1 c Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c Corn meal
- 1 1/2 c Water
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 10 1/2 oz Soft silken tofu
- 1 ts Maple syrup
- 2 ts Italian herbs -(marjoram, sage, oregano, – basil, thyme, rosemary)
- 1/4 c Tahini
- 1 ts Miso
- 1 pn Nutmeg (optional)
- Mix together flour, corn meal, water and salt to make a thin batter. Let sit for at least 10 minutes. Dip pieces of seitan into batter.
- Pan fry in oil on both sides until brown. Combine topping ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour 1 cup sauce into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, distributing evenly. Place batter fried seitan on top. Spread onions on top of seitan.
- Pour on remaining sauce and top with tofu topping. Bake for 30 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)