Recipe: Simple Orange Muffins
- 1 lg Orange
- 1 oz Tofu
- 3/4 c Sugar; (less if desired)
- 3 tb Oil
- 1/2 c Water or orange juice
- 2 c Flour
- 1 ts Baking soda
- 1 ts Cream of tartar
- 1/4 ts Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Finely grate the zest from the orange. Squeeze out and strain the orange’s juice. Set zest and juice aside. In a bowl, thoroughly mash the tofu with the sugar, or blend together with an electric mixer.
- Mix in the finely grated orange zest and juice from the orange, oil, and water (or additional orange juice). In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Blend in the orange juice mixture.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until muffins are starting to brown very lightly, and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- I always use tofu as an egg-replacer in baked goods, with excellent results. It may only be luck, or coincidence, so if you don’t have a piece of tofu handy, try omitting it. These muffins are pretty sweet, so you may want to decrease the amount of sugar used. The sugar does seem to act as a humectant though, so the muffins will stay a little moister in storage if you use more sugar.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)