Recipe: Spareribs – Cabbage ‘N Kraut
- 3-4 pound pork, spareribs, cut in serving pieces
- 1 salt, to taste
- 1 pepper, to taste
- 1 each sauerkraut, small can
- 1/2 each cabbage, small, thinly sliced
- 1 each onion, thinly sliced
- 1 each apple, quartered, cored, sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds or 1 ts dill
- 1 cup water
- Sprinkle spareribs with salt and pepper. Brown ribs for 30 minutes in a heavy skillet or broiler pan. Put alternate layers of spareribs, sauerkraut, cabbage, onion and apple in crockpot. Add caraway seeds or dill to water and pour over all.
- Cover and set to low for 6-8 hours. (High 4-5 hours). Stir several times during cooking when using high only. Note: May be prepared using all sauerkraut or all cabbage if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: German