Recipe: Spiced Vegetable Pakoras With Mango Relish
- 1 sm Eggplant
- cut into 1/4-inch slices 1 ts Salt
- 2 md Zucchini
- cut into 1-inch slices 12 Cauliflower florets
- 6 lg Button mushrooms
- wiped and cut in half 1 1/3 c Chick-pea flour
- OR- all-purpose flour 1 tb Chopped fresh coriander
- 1 ts Salt
- 2 ts Curry powder
- 1 tb Olive oil
- 1 tb Lemon juice
- 3/4 c -Ice water, more if needed
- Vegetable oil — for deep-frying ———-GARNISH———-
- Lemon wedges Coriander or parsley ——–MANGO RELISH——–
- 1/4 c Medium-sweet sherry
- 1/4 c -Water
- 1/4 c 2hite wine vinegar
- 2 tb Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1 pn Ground mace
- 1 Mango
- peeled, pitted and diced 1 sm Red bell pepper
- seeded and diced 1 tb Lemon juice
- Place the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with the salt, and let drain while preparing the other vegetables. Blanch the zucchini and cauliflower florets separately for 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Drain, refresh under cold water, and dry well. Rinse the eggplant and pat dry. Combine the flour, coriander, salt, and curry powder in a large bowl.
- Gradually beat in the oil, lemon juice, and water until the batter is the consistency of heavy cream. Alternatively, place all the ingredients – except the water – in a food processor, and with the motor running, pour the water through the funnel until you have the right consistency.
- Heat 4 inches of oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed saucepan to 350 degrees F. Lightly whisk the batter and dip the vegetables in batches of 5 to 6, then slip them carefully into the hot oil. Fry the pakoras for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, turning them with a slotted spoon.
- Remove from the pan, drain on paper towels, and keep warm in a moderate oven while you cook the remaining pakoras. Allow the oil to come back to 350 degrees F between batches.
- When all the vegetables are ready, garnish with lemon wedges and coriander or parsley and serve at once with the mango relish. MANGO RELISH: Place the sherry, water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, salt, and mace in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the mango, bell pepper, and lemon juice; lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Spoon into a screw top jar and refrigerate until required.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)