Recipe: Spicy Shrimp And Avocado Salsa
- 1 Yellow Bell pepper
- 1 Red Bell pepper
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 6 Tomatillos, husks removed
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 sm White onion, peeled and -quartered (6 oz) 2 Jalapenos, stems removed
- 1 c Loose packed chopt cilantro
- 1/4 c Tomato juice
- 2 ts Coarse salt
- 2 ts Maple syrup (real maple)
- 4 ts Fresh lime juice
- 2 Avocados, peeled, seeded and -diced 1 lb Cooked shrimp, peeled and -diced Tortilla chips
- Remove stems from Bell peppers. Split peppers in half, lengthwise and lightly oil the skin. In an oven-proof pan, arrange peppers (skin-side up), tomatoes, tomatillos, garlic, onion and Jalapenos.
- Broil under high heat 10 to 15 minutes, or until skins of the peppers are charred and the tomatoes and tomatillos are blistered and soft.
- Allow vegetables to cool. Peel skin from peppers. In a food processor, combine broiled vegetables (including any liquid from the pan) with cilantro, tomato juice, salt, maple syrup and lime juice; blend to yield a coarse puree.
- Just before serving, add avocado and shrimp and mix well. Serve with warm fried tortilla chips.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: Snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)