Recipe: Spicy Sichuan Noodles(Dan Dan Mian)
- 1/2 lb Ground pork 1 tb Dark soy sauce
- 1 t Salt
- 1 c Peanut oil
- 3/4 lb Chinese thin egg noodles(fresh or dry)
- 3 tb Finely chopped garlic
- 2 tb Finely chopped ginger
- 5 tb Finely chopped scallions
- 2 tb Sesame paste
- peanut butter 2 tb Dark soy sauce
- 2 tb Chili oil
- 2 ts Salt
- 1 c Chicken stock
- 1 tb Sichuan peppercorns(roasted and ground)
- COMBINE THE PORK, SOY SAUCE and salt in a small bowl and mix well. Heat a wok or saute pan until it is hot.
- Add the oil and deep-fry the pork, stirring with a spatula to break it into small pieces. When the pork is crispy and dry, about 4 minutes, remove it with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off the oil, leaving 2 tablespoons in the wok. Reheat the wok and add the garlic, ginger and scallions, and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Then add the sesame paste, soy sauce, chili oil, salt and chicken stock and simmer for 4 minutes. Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes if they are fresh or 5 minutes if they are dried.
- Drain the noodles well in a colander. Divide them into individual bowls or put in large soup tureen. Ladle on the sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: Snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)