Recipe: Spicy Stir Fried Fish
- 4 dried mushrooms
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1 pound whitefish fillets
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup bamboo shoots — drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons green onions — chopped
- Soak mushrooms for 10 minutes in warm water, drain, and chop. Heat oil in a wok. When it is very hot, add fish and fry until lightly browned. Remove to warm dish and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add tomato sauce, pepper, bamboo shoots, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes, until mushrooms soften.
- Add wine, sugar, salt, and soy sauce and stir mixture for 30 seconds.
- Return fish to pan and turn it over in the sauce. Dissolve conrstarch in 1 tablespoon water and add to wok.
- Stir gently just until sauce thickens. Pour onto serving dish and garnish with onions.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)