Recipe: Spicy Sweet-Potato Sticks
- 3 x Large sweet potatoes
- 2 tb Vegetable oil
- 3 tb Unsalted butter
- 1/2 c Water (or as needed)
- 3 tb Honey
- Salt White pepper Ground ginger Ground cardamom Ground cloves
- The potatoes should weigh a total of about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- Pare the sweet potatoes and cut into short sticks about 1/4″ thick (if you have a food processor with a disk designed for french fries, use that).
- Heat the oil and butter in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat; don’t let the fat brown.
- Add the potato sticks and toss to coat; season with salt, white pepper, about 1/4 ts each of ginger, cardamom, and a small pinch of cloves.
- Add 1/2 cup water, adjust the heat to medium-low, and cook, tossing often, but gently, for about 5 minutes, adding drops of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the honey and continue to toss-cook until the sticks are just tender and nicely glazed, perhaps 3 minutes.
- Check the seasonings and serve promptly.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)