Recipe: Spicy Szechuan Chicken, From Joan Johnson
- 1 lb Boneless chicken breasts
- -skinned 4 ts Cornstarch, divided 1 Egg white
- 2 tb Vegetable oil
- 3/4 c Thinly sliced drained canned
- bamboo shoots 1/4 c Diced green chiles 1/8 c Shelled roasted peanuts
- 1 Clove garlic, minced fine
- 1 ts Sugar
- 2 tb Light soy sauce
- 3 tb Dry sherry
- 2 tb Finely chopped green onions
- 1 ts Grated peeled fresh ginger
- Cut chicken into 2 x 1/2 inch strips. Place in a large pie plate. Sprinkle 2 t cornstarch over chicken and mix well to coat. Add egg white and mix again.
- Heat oil in wok or a 12 inch frying pan. Add chicken and bamboo shoots and stir fry for about 3 minutes (using a wooden spoon or wooden fork). Add chiles and peanuts; stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except green onion with remain- ing 2 tsp. cornstarch and add to wok. Stir fry and heat until sauce is thick and smooth and mixture is well-blended.
- Add green onion. Stir-fry 30 seconds to warm onions. Serve immediately. Food exchanges per serving: 4 meats, 1 vegetable 1 serving is 2/3 cup. This recipe yields 4 cups.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)