Recipe: Spicy Szechuan Chicken
- 1 pound Chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoon Cornstarch — divided
- 1 Clove garlic — minced fine
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 egg white 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon Dry sherry
- 3/4 cup Sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 teaspoon Grated peeled fresh
- gingeroot 1/4 cup Diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoon Chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup Roasted — skinned peanuts
- Cut chicken into 2- by 1/2-inch strips. Place in a large pie plate. Sprinkle 2 tsp. cornstarch over chicken and mix well to coat chicken. Add egg white and mix again.
- Heat oil in wok or a 12-inch frying pan. Add chicken and bamboo shoots and stir-fry about 3 minutes (use a wooden spoon or wooden fork).
- Add chilies and peanuts; stir-fry 2 minutes. Combine all remaining ingredients except green onion with remaining 2 tsp. cornstarch and add to wok or pan.
- Stir-fry and heat until sauce is thick and smooth and mixture is well blended. Add green onion.
- Stir-fry 30 seconds to warm onions. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)