Recipe: Spicy Thai Chicken And Coconut Soup
- 1 1/2 tb Chile Oil
- 1 Red Onion, Diced
- 2 Stalks Lemongrass
- Very Thinly Sliced 1/2 Red Bell Pepper Julienne
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, Julienne
- 3 Habanero Chiles, Stems Removed
- Finely Chopped 1 Jalapeno Chile, Stem Removed
- Finely Chopped 4 Thai Chiles, Stems Removed,
- Finely Chopped 2 Serrano Chiles, Stems Removed
- Finely Chopped 1 Poblano Chile, Stem Removed,
- Finely Chopped 1 Green New Mexican Chile,
- Stem Removed, Finely – Chopped 2 tb Freshly Grated Ginger
- 1/2 Head Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 lb Shitake Mushrooms, Thinly
- Sliced 1/4 lb Crimini Mushrooms, Thinly
- Sliced 2 1/2 c Coconut Milk
- 2 1/2 c Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 lb Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast
- Julienned In 1/2″ – Thick Strips 1 1/2 ts To 2 ts Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 c Whole Kernel Corn or Baby Corn
- Sliced 1/2 bn Fresh Cilantro, Stems Removed,
- Chopped 1/2 Lemon, Juice and Zest
- Salt To Taste
- Heat a large soup pot, add the oil. Add the onions, lemongrass, and all the peppers and chiles and saute until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the ginger, garlic and mushrooms, reduce the heat and continue to saute for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to very low and stir in the coconut milk, stock and chicken.
- Heat very slowly, but do not allow the soup to boil! Simmer until the chicken is just tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients, garnish with a couple of Thai Chiles, if desired, and serve
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Thai