Recipe: Spicy Thai Meatballs With Crispy Noodles
- Vegetable oil 1 lb Ground pork
- 1 lg Egg
- 1/2 c Dry-roasted peanuts
- Finely chopped 1/4 c Chopped fresh cilantro or Parsley
- 3/4 ts Salt 3 3/4 oz Pkg. cellophane noodles
- 1/2 c Chunk-style peanut butter
- 1 tb Grated lemon peel
- 1/4 ts Ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 sm Cucumber,sliced
- 1 sm Carrot, peeled and thinly
- Sliced or cut into thin Sticks Fresh cilantro or parsley Sprigs, optional Pour oil into 3 qt. saucepan to depth of 1″;heat over medium-high heat to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile,in large bowl,combine pork,egg,ground peanuts,chopped cilantro and salt.
- Using hands or wooden spoon,blend well.Shape mixture into 1″ balls.
- In 12″ skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tbsp. oil;add meatballs.Cook about 12 minutes,turning frequently until well browned on all sides.
- Add 1 cup water,stirring to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet;bring to boil.Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer,covered,5 to 10 minutes until meatballs are cooked through. Meanwhile,add noodles,a small amount at a time,to hot oil in saucepan; cook each batch about 20 seconds until puffed and double in size.
- Using a slotted spoon,remove noodles to paper towel to drain.When meatballs are cooked,stir in peanut butter,grated lemon peel and ground red pepper;cook about 1 minute longer until heated through.
- Arrange fried noodles on serving platter.Spoon meatballs over noodles;arrange cucumbers and carrots decoratively around edge.Garnish with cilantro sprigs,if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: Thai