Recipe: Spicy Thai Pork And Carrot Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 loin chops boneless — sliced across grain
- 8 ounces fresh carrots thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 onion cut into narrow wedges
- 2 – 4 green and/or red hot peppers seeded — and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger root thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- In a large deep skillet, over high heat, heat oil until nearly smoking. Place pork in hot pan and let brown, without stirring, about 30 seconds; stir and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add carrots, onion, hot peppers and gingerroot to pan, stirring occasionally over highest heat about 6 to 8 minutes, until carrots are crisp tender and onion begins to caramelize.
- Add 1/3 cup water to pan and scrape loose drippings from bottom. Add fish sauce and stir well until everything is completely coated.
- Serve over hot noodles or rice.
Note: If serving with noodles, prepare noodles before starting stir fry. Cook according to package directions; drain. Drizzle with a little peanut oil; transfer to a large ovenproof platter. Cover with foil and keep in oven on lowest setting until stir fry is done.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Thai